OUR LINK TO THE WORLD
About Port and Maritime
The Ports & Maritime sector is critical to the current success and future growth of the Greater Houston region. The Port of Houston is the #1 export hub in the nation and one of the busiest ports in the world. With the expansion of the Panama Canal, our port will become an even greater economic center. Opportunities in the maritime and transportation industry are broken up into 3 categories:
- Ship Repair & Modernization
- Ports and Port-Based Logistics
- Seagoing/Vessel Operations
- Inland service: work on tugs and barges on rivers and inland waterways.
- Near coastal service: work on crew and supply boats up to 200 nautical miles offshore.
- Ocean-going: work on shipping vessels, cruise ships, scientific research boats, and commercial fishing boats out on the open sea more than 200 miles off the coast.
What Are You Up For?
A career in the Port & Maritime industry might be right for you if…
- You like the idea of an international working life that revolves around the oceans.
- You enjoy working hands-on and are goal-oriented.
- You are an effective communicator and an active listener.
- You are a decision maker and have excellent sense of judgement.
- You are dependable, adaptable, and flexible.
Ready for A Change?
Find A Career?
Explore in-demand careers in the Port and Maritime sector.
Find a Job
Search for Open Jobs at the Port of Houston
Still in School?
Learn about Internships at the Port of Houston
Unsure of a Path?
It can be hard to know which colleges—and which majors—might be right for you and your goals. LaunchMyCareer helps you cut through the confusion and find programs of study that can lead to well-paying jobs and a good life. Click here to get started, and find your best course.